One of Ben's absolute favorites winter or summer! This is a twist on apple pie and apple crisp, combining the best of both. Below is the general instructions feel free to modify to your needs or make for your next pie.
Ingredients for filling:
• 1 pie crust (homemade or pre-made)
• 7 cups of sliced apples
• 1 tsp of vanilla extract
• 1 ½ tsp of cinnamon
• 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
• 1/4 tsp of salt
• 1 tbsp of lemon juice
• 1/4 cup of sugar
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 stick salted butter, softened
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1 ½ cup rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Take pie crust out of refrigerator and let come to room temperature.
- Slice apples and put in large bowl. Add lemon juice and vanilla extract to the apples and toss.
- In a separate bowl, mix together cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, sugar, and flour for filling.
- Once mixed, add the mixture to the sliced apples and combine. Mix until apples are fully coated.
- In a separate bowl, combine butter, flour, sugar, brown sugar, salt, and rolled oats. To mix, I recommend a fork, pastry blender or using your hands. Combine until it is a pebble like texture. Set aside.
- Roll out your crust into your 9-inch pie dish. Gently conform the crust to the pie dish as to not rip the dough.
- Then add the apples to the pie dish.
- Add topping to the pie (can be messy, I recommend using your hands to help press it into the apples).
- Bake the pie at 400°F for 15 min, then turn temperature down to 375°F for another 30 minutes or until pie starts browning on top.
- Let cool and serve!